WRITER, PRODUCER, AUTHOR
Residence: Los Angeles, California (USA)
Ms. Woods began writing when, as a struggling actress in New York, she couldn’t find suitable audition material for women of color. This led her to write a book of audition monologues, Something for Everyone (50 Original Monologues). The book was initially self-published and is now published by renowned theatrical play publisher, Samuel French, Inc. (www.VCWoods.com)
After adapting an average play into a better screenplay, utilizing Syd Field’s iconic guide, Screenplay, Ms. Woods was awarded a Walt Disney Screenwriting Fellowship and followed that up with writing and producing on network and cable drama series such as Under One Roof, Touched By An Angel, Promised Land, Any Day Now and Soul Food.
- Writer/Adapted Screenplay
Ms. Woods is in development for the screen adaptation of the novel Tempest Rising by Diane McKinney-Whetstone for actress-producer-director Phylicia Rashad.
Co-Executive Producer/Writer on Season 4 of the critically acclaimed television drama series Queen Sugar, created by Ava DuVernay and airing on Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN).
You can find her at www.vcwoods.com
- Author/Fiction & Non-Fiction
Also a novelist and publisher, Ms. Woods founded the micro-press: BooksEndependent (BE) (www.BooksEndependent.com) to support her fiction writing and the work of other independent authors of fiction and non-fiction. Ms. Woods and BE produce Staged/Lit, staged readings of adaptations of literary works from prose to script to performance.
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE WITH SYD FIELD
- First met Syd in the early 1980s at a 2-day seminar in New York City, applied his method to a stage play.
- Turned her stage play into a screenplay (utilizing Syd’s Screenwriting method®), which was selected for the Walt Disney Screenwriting Fellowship. The screenplay written during the Fellowship led to writing one-hour drama for television and my first agent representation.
- Teaches script writing using Screenplay as the basic text, with Syd’s permission.
- Adjunct Faculty for the Stephens College Low-Residency MFA in TV and Screenwriting program since 2015.
- Invited Syd as Guest lecturer to my International Screenwriting classes teaching with the The Australian Film and Television Academy (TAFTA).