WRITER, PRODUCER, SCRIPT EDITOR
Residence: Ottawa, Canada
Sharon Buckingham is a well-known screenwriter and producer with both television and feature film credits. She teaches the Syd Field Screenwriting method ® and is a story editor and script consultant.
Sharon is known for creating unforgettable characters and driving plots forward with perfectly timed action and incisive dialogue. Her work has premiered on screens in countries around the world.
She is the creator, writer, and co-producer on Sticks And Stones, a television movie for the CTV network, which won prestigious awards:
• Shaw Rocket Prize for Best Canadian Family TV program
• Best Foreign Film at the Los Angeles International Family Film Festival
• Nominations for Gemini and Canadian Indy Awards Best Movie for television
- Story Editor
Sharon worked as a story editor and writer on the long-running television series Beastmaster and as a script consultant on the CBC series Republic Of Doyle.
- Writer/Feature Films
Sharon’s feature film credits include the Genie Award Best Picture nominee for To Walk With Lions (starring Richard Harris) and Owd Bob (James Cromwell). She was a writer on Nico The Unicorn and For Hire.
- Editor/Script Consultant
Sharon provides story editor and script consultant services on a wide variety for feature scripts and television projects for broadcasters, production companies and individual screenwriters.
As well as being a producer on Sticks And Stones, Sharon is developing Drifters, a series of books by Susan Rodgers for television. She’s also creating and developing Harm’s Way, an original medical drama series for television.
Sharon Buckingham is one of four Syd Field Screenwriting Method instructors trained by Mr. Field. For several years she has taught Screenwriting and Writing for Film and Television at Algonquin College. She has also led screenwriting workshops for the Summer Institute of Film & Television, Inuit Broadcasting and the PEI Screenwriters Workshop.
Sharon is represented by Linda Saint at The Saint Agency, Toronto, Canada.
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE WITH SYD FIELD
- Sharon met Syd Field at the Sherman Oaks Experimental College in the mid-1970s where he led weekend workshops for emerging screenwriters.
- She wrote her first two scripts in the ten-week-long workshops (one night a week) held at Mr. Field’s home in Beverly Hills.
- Thanks to an introduction by Syd Field, Sharon signed with Barbara Levy of Bloom, Levy and Shorr Agency.
- Encouraged by Syd Field she began teaching workshops using the Syd Field Screenwriting method ® agreeing to quote and credit him appropriately. She also used his teachings at the Ottawa’s Summer Institute of Film & Television, and for the Canadian Screen Training Center.
- Sharon coordinated the invitation for Syd Field to be the keynote speaker and honorary teacher for the Summer Institute of Film & Television in Ottawa.
- Teaching the Screenwriting, and the Writing for TV and Film courses at Algonquin College in Ottawa, using the Syd Field Screenwriting method ® and his book, Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwritingis the required text.
- Sharon continues teaching the two ten-week-long screenwriting workshops at her home in Ottawa.