WRITER, PRODUCER, AUTHOR
Residence: Los Angeles, California (USA)
Ms. Woods began writing when, as a struggling actress in New York, she couldn’t find suitable audition material for women of color. This led her to write a book of audition monologues, Something for Everyone (50 Original Monologues). The book was initially self-published and is now published by renowned theatrical play publisher, Samuel French, Inc. (www.VCWoods.com)
After adapting an average play into a better screenplay, utilizing Syd Field’s iconic guide, Screenplay, Ms. Woods was awarded a Walt Disney Screenwriting Fellowship and followed that up with writing and producing on network and cable drama series such as Under One Roof, Touched By An Angel, Promised Land, Any Day Now and Soul Food.
- Author/Fiction & Non-Fiction
Also a novelist and publisher, Ms. Woods founded the micro-press: BooksEndependent, LLC (www.BooksEndependent.com) to support her fiction writing and the work of other independent authors of fiction and non-fiction. The first title was Ms. Woods’ novella, I Believe… A Ghost Story for the Holidays. Her first full-length novel was published in 2013. Katrin’s Chronicles: The Canon of Jacqueléne Dyanne, Vol. 1 is set on the South Side of Chicago in the summer of 1968 and details the adventures of two African-American Girl Detectives!
- Writer/Adapted Screenplay
Ms. Woods is in development for the screen adaptation of the novel Tempest Rising by Diane McKinney-Whetstone for actress-producer-director Phylicia Rashad.
Currently, Writer and Co-Executive Producer on the miniseries Tulsa for the Oprah Winfrey Network.
You can find her on www.vcwoods.com
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE WITH SYD FIELD
- First met Syd in early 1980s at 2-day seminar in New York City, applied his method to a stage play.
- Turned my stage play into a screenplay (utilizing Syd’s Screenwriting method®) which was selected for the Walt Disney Screenwriting Fellowship. The screenplay I wrote during the Fellowship got me my first job writing one hour drama for television and my first agent.
- Began teaching script writing using Screenplay as the basic text, with Syd’s permission.
- Invited Syd as Guest lecturer to my International Screenwriting classes I was teaching with the The Australian Film and Television Academy (TAFTA).