SCREENWRITER, ACTOR, DIRECTOR & ARTISTIC DIRECTOR OF THE LOS ANGELES PERFORMING ARTS CONSERVATORY
Residence: Malibu, California & Paris, France
Artistic Director, Natalia Lazarus is at the helm of The Promenade Playhouse & it’s subsidiaries: Promenade Conservatory, now LA Performing Arts Conservatory, a degree granting University. 3rd Street Comedy, The Promenade Players Theatre Company, & the Creative Keys to Success Series, the Acting, Writing, Directing & Personal Growth technique that she created and developed.
Ms. Lazarus is a graduate of the Sorbonne University in Paris, France, the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City, the Film Program at New York University; with adjacent studies at the University of London, The British Film Institute and the Ned Herrmann Brain Dominance Center.
Lazarus is a private and international coach for Hollywood celebrities on sets (most notably, Ken Jeong, of The Hangover, Transformers, Community & Knocked Up; Teresa Ruiz from Border Town with Jennifer Lopez & winner of the Cannes Camera d’Or 2010); and in institutions throughout the world, like Bridge Media, The International School of Cinema of Paris, the Guanajuato Film Festival, Acapulco Film Festival, Casa Azul, Foro Shakespeare and Artes Pasion in Mexico City, River Hollywood Training School in Tokyo Japan, Instituto Stanislavsky in Sao Paolo, Brazil, and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists in Los Angeles to name a few.
She is Syd Field’s “docent” & one of the few in the world authorized to teach his screenwriting technique. She was privileged to have studied with Syd for 6 years.
Getting Even, Norma Beckman’s Return (Hollywood Film Festival winner), Voices of the Drina, based on the Bosnian War, Ripened on the Vine, adapted from the book of the same title, A Life Interrupted, currently in post-production and recently hired by Omega Films in France to pen The Picasso – Rubens Enigma.
Her One Woman Show, Birthday Girl, (selection at the Edinburgh Int’l Theatre Festival in Scotland)
- Programs & Books
The entire curriculum of the Promenade Conservatory’s three year degree, The Actor’s Key, The Pathology Key, The Director’s Key, and, The Screenwriter’s Key.
- Directing & Producing
Films:Life Interrupted, The Trilogy: Growing Up, The Room, Sans Promesse.
Stage: A Picasso, The Dining Room, In Bed with Tenn (a collection of Tennesse Williams One Acts), The Laramie Project, All in the Timing, LORCAbaret, Porno Stars at Home, How To Go Out On A Date In Queens, The Ties that Bind, Top Girls, Crimes of the Heart, and Oh Hell!
- Acting Credits/Stage
A Picasso, The Dreamer Examines His Pillow, The Runner Stumbles, Frida Kahlo, Malcolm & Teresa, Chilean Holiday, Not the Fifth the Ninth! Film: Across the Line, Hanging With the Homeboys, Portrait of a Puerto Rican, Touchstone, Maria Cristina, Side Bets, Love It Is. TV: Promised Land, On Common Ground, Passions, The Young & The Restless, The Bold & The Beautiful, You Be The Judge, Reyes & Rey, Port Charles.
- Commercial & Voice Over Campaigns
Anheiser Busch, Bank of America, Dodge, Coca Cola, Texaco, Estee Lauder, Mitsubishi, McDonalds, Gerbers, Smirnoff Vodka, Family Dollar, and XM Radio.
She is fluent in English, Spanish, French, and Italian. Ms. Lazarus resides in Paris, France & Malibu, California.
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE WITH SYD FIELD
- I first met Syd in the mid nineties in Beverly Hills, California where he led weekly workshops for emerging screenwriters in his home.
- I wrote my first two screenplays in his classes. One went on to win the first prize, Screenplay Discovery Award, at the Hollywood Film Festival and the other one was optioned by producer Wallis Nicita.
- In early 2000, Syd, Aviva and myself collaborated on creating a workshop entitled THE MATRIX, which combined Syd Field’s Technique, and the physiological techniques for profiling personalities from Ned Herrmann’s Brain Dominance corporate model.
- I began to lead workshops, using Syd’s method with his blessing, and with the agreement to quote and credit him appropriately, at the Promenade Conservatory in Santa Monica, California.
- Since 2010, I have conducted workshops around the world, (Instituto Stanislavski, Sao Paolo, Brazil, EICAR, the International School of Cinema of Paris, France, Acapulco Film Festival, Guanajuato Film Festival, Mexico), entitled, THE SCREENWRITER’S KEY, utilizing Syd’s Technique, American Acting Techniques, and psychological techniques for creating character.
- On Syd’s push and encouragement to do so, I am currently completing, THE ACTOR’S KEY, a book on the Essence of Acting that teaches the actor, Script Analysis and Character Creation.